With the prices of digital currency on the rise, it’s more important than ever to take steps to help keep your digital currency safe. Coinbase will never ask for your password, two-factor authentication code or remote access to your computer.
Our top priority is the security of customer funds. Coinbase invests significant time and resources to proactively detect and prevent attempts to compromise customer accounts, however it is also important customers take appropriate steps to minimize the risk of having their accounts compromised.
Steps to help keep your digital currency secure
- Create long, random and unique passwords for each account. Using a password manager such as 1Password or LastPass makes this easy to manage.
- Install two-factor authentication (2FA) everywhere. We recommend Google Authenticator or another offline authenticator app such as Duo or 1Password. At a minimum, you should have two-factor authentication installed for all of your email accounts and your Coinbase account. If you use gmail as your email provider consider the Advanced Protection Program. You can read more about how to install two-factor authentication on your Coinbase account here.
- Call your mobile provider and add additional protections to your account. For example, request a PIN or password for your account, ask for a port freeze and SIM lock (so attackers can’t move your phone number to a new carrier). If your carrier doesn’t support these added protections,, consider changing to a carrier that does.
- Be on the lookout for emails pretending to be from Coinbase (you may have heard this called “phishing”). This is the most common way customers are compromised. Bookmark important websites (Coinbase, email, banks, etc) and only visit those sites from those bookmarks. Avoid clicking links or opening attachments in emails. Coinbase will never ask for your password, 2FA or remote access to your computer.
- Confirm you are using authentic Coinbase support. Only contact Coinbase through its verified email — [email protected] or phone support on +1 (888) 908–7930. Fake customer service numbers and pages are on the increase — please be careful to verify any information you find via forums, social media and google adverts.
- Protect your computer. Make sure your operating system is up to date, install a reliable antivirus software and avoid install software from unknown sources.
- Consider the Coinbase vault for digital currency to which you do not need immediate access.
Based Blockchain Network